Tuesday, May 22, 2012

cowboy up birthday girl


Today Daria celebrated her 14th birthday. 
She is the one who made me a "mom" for the first time.
She is definitely a spark in my life and I feel completely blessed to have the priviledge of being her mom every single day.


We celebrated on Monday by going out to her Auntie Buffy's farm and riding horses.


I hadn't realized that Daria had never riden with her auntie (what a neglectful mother I am).  My younger sister is an Animal Health Tech at a Vet Clinic and a pro with horses.  I totally stand in awe of how good she is with them.  She always has been.  I've tried.....really, I have......in the past......to (pretend) to love horses, but I just can't get myself over the fact that they are huge & powerful & beyond me.  But, Buffy.........she's the perfect one to teach Daria how to ride.

So.....we went for the afternoon and Daria & Buffy had a fantastic time riding in the pasture.  Buffy even had Dare doing some barrells.......all-be-it very slowly.


I love this photo of Buffy with one of her horses, Sue.  What a beautiful moment.  There is something in Buffy that lights up whenever she is around animals.  This is definitely something I wish for for my children too.

This, on the other hand, is totally staged.  Buffy had to go back to the house to get another set of reins (I won't share with you "why" b/c I promised her).  Anyway, she asked me to hold onto Sue....yes, just her lead rope, so she wouldn't go anywhere.  I think I prayed the whole time that Sue wouldn't even move.  She's HUGE!!!  And, frankly, although I think she is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen.............I'm a little intimidated by her.  I'm more into the size of, let's say.......St. Bernards & Great Danes (that's my limit)......oh, yeah.......and little horses named Roger.

So.............thank you, Buffy, for giving my daughter the love of horses, and a birthday she will never forget.

{from the farm},
j.

4 comments:

  1. such great photos!! They worth to be scrapped :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way you do Jill around horses but I am happy that Daria enjoyed her day riding.

    Wow! 14 already...I remember when she was just a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being kicked off a horse and on 2 runaways in my lifetime, I'm with you on this one, but can also appreciate those who love them like Buffy and Daria!!!! I'll stick with puppies thanks!!!! And great shot of Buffy btw!!!!! LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I just checked in to the wide web world of blogs - what amazing pictures ( and lovely things you said about me, big sis):) I think that I had the most fun sharing the day with my beautiful niece. I hope that we do it again soon... happy birthday dare!! Love Auntie Buffy

    ReplyDelete